The RISE Urban Principal Preparation (UPP) Program is accepting applications for our first cohort of fellows. This program is a partnership of RISE San Diego and the Jacbos Institute for Innovation in Education at the University of San Diego School of Leadership and Education Sciences. RISE UPP aims to create a pipeline for principals who are committed to advancing equity in San Diego’s urban schools. Learn more by reviewing our full program description.
Thank you for your interest in applying to RISE UPP! Unfortunately, at this time, the application period has closed. For reference, please feel free to read through below to learn more about the eligibility requirements and process to submit your application, as well as important dates for the current program. Also, you may sign up here to receive announcements about any future RISE UPP program opportunities.
To be considered for the RISE UPP Program, you must meet one of the following descriptions:
- Current principal with fewer than five years of experience
- Future principal already enrolled in an administrative credential program
- Educator with plans to enroll in a credential program
- Educator with an expressed interest in school leadership
IMPORTANT DATES & INFORMATION:
Please take a look at all the important dates below for our 2018-2019 RISE UPP Program. Our expectation is, as RISE UPP Fellows, you will attend all 16 sessions and 3 school site visits (arranged by RISE UPP staff), and will have the option to attend several key events of the RISE San Diego and Jacobs Institute organizations. Please take this into consideration as you apply.
|Saturday, June 2, 2018||8:00am – 2:00pm|
|Monday to Friday, July 9-20, 2018||8:00am – 2:00pm|
|Saturday, October 13, 2018||8:00am – 2:00pm|
|Thursday, December 6, 2018||8:00am – 2:00pm|
|Saturday, January 26, 2019||8:00am – 2:00pm|
|Saturday, March 16, 2019||8:00am – 2:00pm|
|Thursday, April 11, 2019||8:00am – 2:00pm|
RISE UPP is generously financed by the New Schools Venture Fund and Parker Foundation. Participation in the program for RISE UPP Fellows is fully funded. Light continental breakfast will be provided at each session. Lunch will be on your own. Fellows will be responsible for campus parking fees. One-time grants for economy airfare will also be available for select school site visits (usually within California) for each Fellow. All 16 sessions will be held at the University of San Diego during 2018-2019 (see chart above for specific dates).
The application period has closed. Please sign up to receive announcements about our next RISE UPP program opportunity. For reference, the following documents would be required to complete your application. If applying in the future, we advise you to gather these documents prior to beginning the online application.
- A recent copy of your résumé in PDF or Word (.doc) format (Please note, due to security concerns, we cannot accept Word document with the file extension “.docx.” Please “Save as…” and choose “Word 97-2004 Document (.doc)” from the file format menu and submit in that format, or PDF);
- Three professional reference letters, one of which should be from your immediate supervisor (school principal for those currently working at a school site). The letters should address the following: your leadership potential for a principalship, your ideas about equity, expertise in creating collaborative conditions with education colleagues and/or communities/families. (Please note, these are not required to submit with your online application, but they are required to be submitted either with the application, or by email, prior to the April 30th deadline in Word or PDF format);
- A quality, high-resolution headshot. The headshot does not need to be taken by a professional photographer, but should be professional in appearance. Please submit this file in .jpg or .png file formats, with a minimum resolution of 300dpi and a maximum file size of 1MB;
- Institutional endorsement letter from your immediate supervisor (school principal for those currently working at a school site). Please use the letter template provided (download here);
- We encourage you to download the RISE UPP sample application as a PDF or Word document for preparation purposes only. Please note that completed applications in Word or PDF will not be accepted. To apply for the fellowship program, you must complete, and submit, the online application.
If you encounter any issues, or have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.